Tuesday, July 15

Missing the Point... brand... whatevah

This article i read was probably one of the worst written pieces of journalism i've seen in awhile. Either the publication or the writer seemed to focus on all the wrong things, in my humble opinion.
"Demonstrations on the town square show how divided people are over the school board's decision to fire a science teacher accused of preaching his Christian beliefs in the classroom and burning crosses on students' arms. "
While my liberal self would certainly object to a teacher preaching one religion over others in a classroom, i think the whole fucking BURNING CROSSES ON KIDS ARMS kinda makes the teaching thing a distasteful footnote. But in reading the article, the scarification and mutilation of children is barely mentioned while the issue of religious rights takes the main stage. WTF?

"John Freshwater, 52, was fired last month after an outside consulting firm released a report concluding that he taught creationism and was insubordinate in failing to remove a Bible and other religious materials from his classroom at Mount Vernon Middle School.
Some residents consider him a courageous fighter for religious freedom. Others say he has brazenly violated the church-state divide."


The article goes on to talk about a community divided over teaching religion in schools, blah, blah, blah. Uh, where the hell (no pun intended) is the protest about a teacher BRANDING students?

"A much-viewed sign about a mile from town reads: "If the Bible goes, the school board should follow."

Again... WTF? I think the town has its priorities a little screwed up.

"Freshwater likely will be suspended without pay during the appeals process, which could extend into the fall, said David Millstone, the school board's attorney."

He's been suspended. He's not in jail for god's sake? (again no pun intended)

"Officials knew that Freshwater used a science tool to burn images of a cross on students' arms in December, according to findings by outside investigators.
"I think things were just overlooked and overlooked and overlooked and then it just came to a head," said Kelly Montgomery.

...Freshwater told investigators he simply was trying to demonstrate the device on three to eight students and described the images an "X" not a cross. But pictures show the images depict a cross, the report said. "

There are so many things wrong with that last statement and I find it difficult to believe that it was left as mere mention by the reported and didn't incur outrage in the community. Would they have been just as blaise if he had decided to test acid on their skin, or demonstrated the different applications of surgical scapels? What kinda dumbass excuse was that and what kind of dumbasses let it go at that?

The brilliant wrapup to this article:
"When teachers have a contract, they have to follow the state guidelines, and he deliberately went against the guidelines," said Winkle, 57, as she sipped coffee at a cafe near the public square."

Ugh. Just ugh. If you want to read the stupid ass excuse for reporting yourself, go here:
Article



25 comments:

ozymandiaz said...

for every turn that I see beauty
for every eye within which I see the glimmer of hope
I am dissmayed by the pompous and the pious
who bid our hands with ludicrous rope
for if some self rightious son of a bitch
decided to burn his faith upon the arms of my child
I would peel away his ever loving hide
and drag him screaming into the wild
where I would teach him MY religion
and I would introduce him to MY god
and that I would offer him forgiveness
after I do not spare the rod

Just sayin

L.P. said...

Amen, my friend. xxx K

L.P. said...

Exactly Gaddy-love. And where the hell is the outrage over it in that community? What is it - fucking stepfordville? Why isn't he in jail? Why isn't the local media jumping the shit all over it?
WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE?????

Ed & Jeanne said...

I'm sure that is our ultimate purpose on Earth...to get branded with a cross....

cathouse teri said...

This sort of article makes me wanna go live in a tree.

L.P. said...

VE, i'm here to save you dood.

It certainly makes a person want to hand back in their human card, Cat.

L.P. said...

Nicely said, Mikey!

So anyone else think the fact that no one in the town (generally speaking of course, cuz SOMEONE has to be pissed there, right?) seems to be overly outraged by the kids being branded as something odder than odd? I'm thinking this place might be the perfect setting for a Stephen King novel.

Moooooog35 said...

The day my son or daughter come home from school with burns on their arm, is the day the town buries a teacher.

Anonymous said...

I had this very vivid, movie-like dream the other day where the basic storyline to that altogether-shitty film "Armageddon" was true: Meteor heading for Earth, dipshits running around frantically looking for a way to survive, etc. However, there was no Bruce Willis or Ben Affleck(thankfully) and no Liv Tyler (god dammit!!). Guessing for my "movie," this was a low-budget remake with no-name actors *shrug*

It was the best sleep I've had in forever, the night I dreamed that.

And stories like this make me disappointed it was only a dream, because in my dream, the meteor didn't get stopped.

It destroyed EVERYTHING.

cathouse teri said...

Meow.

L.P. said...

I totally get that i wouldn't wanna piss you off Moogi. you some kinda fierce when riled. :)

youz such a nihilist Rev-baby. Remind me not to stand next to at the end of the world. that jumping up and down and waving of the arms would make me kinda antsy.

Cat - ?

NerdyRedneck Rob said...

What? You mean I have to stop branding children now?

I will have you know the second amendment says in no uncertain terms I have the right to burn arms!

cathouse teri said...

(I turned in my human card. Hee.)

Raspootin said...

Where's the ACLU when ya really need them:)

Why would a teacher ever think it was correct to burn a child? It seems like there has to be a "missing bit" to this story. Why isn't the teacher in jail. Surely burning children is ummm illegal?or like you said Lakota; perhaps they are just "missing the point."

I don't get it. If you saw a burn on your child wouldn't you have the teacher locked up way before the ACLU or some other organization gets him for crossing the State & Church line. It just does not make sense.

Karl said...

Good Evening Lakota,

It may be worth asking the question:

Why isn't this man under arrest for child abuse?

To these folks:

AskDOJ@usdoj.gov.

Just a thought, of course the 45¢ solution would work too.

By the way, I did ask the question, so far here is the response: Thank you for contacting the Department of Justice. This is an automatic acknowledgement that your e-mail was received. It will be reviewed in the order it was received.

Woozie said...

Oh boy. If he burned a cross into the arm of a black kid....you don't know rage until you see it in a black mother :)

Anonymous said...

I don't know about being a nihilist, though maybe in a few years I'd think it fits the bill. Maybe I'm in denial?

I always like what George Carlin said: "I'm not a cynic. The real cynics are the ones who tell you it's all gonna be alright."

I just don't see a lot of positivity regarding the human race as a whole when they are scrutinized. Individuals continually manage to impress me, but the herd as a whole is pretty much flawed if you ask me.

billy pilgrim said...

the poor guy was born 100 years too late. he could have really had his way with kids back then.

Riff Dog said...

This is an article from the 40's, right?

L.P. said...

From Ohio are ya Rob? Baby, branding is not the latest trend in tattooing, just saying. And i thought it was "bury" arms? :P

Ooooh, gottcha, clever Cat.

I kept going "huh?" when i read that story Raspy. And i read it like ten times to make sure i wasn't missing like some critical info. Either half that guy's story got cut or he needs a new day job. And if the town is that fucked up, remind me never to set foot there. They'll burn da witch for sure.

Our government at work, Karl. I suppose they may get to it about the time those kids have kids lined up in class for their red badge of fuckedupedness.

There ya go Woozala, i think we need to sic your mama on them. Problem solved.

I was goin' with the flow Rev. I almost didn't use that term because you don't fit in any tidy box (thank goddess) - it's one of the MANY things i likes about you.

Cabana Boy, inquisitioning with you long time.

You mean right about that time they were force sterilizing peeps, Riffy? Oh and lets not forget the golden age of lobotomy. Sorry to say, narrow-minded cruelty is alive and well.

SP said...

Thanks for the link Lakota ;)

If I ever get around to adding links myself you will be right at the top!

This incident is pretty disturbing on a lot of levels. Extremists from any belief, whether it be religious, political or whatever are usually fairly fucked in the head.

Except those of us who extremely love sex. We're f'n cool ;)

Whitenoise said...

Yes, bizzare. He should be in jail, the lawsuits should be flying against the school board for hiring such a nutcase.

Nit Wit said...

The story reminded me of the movie Footloose. I thought at the time that that movie came out that it was unrealistic. I didn't think that I would ever see book burning and local government condoning supersize policies but with every story I read it becomes clear that what was unthinkable a few years ago is considered mundane now.
I see what the norm in Britain is now and think that it is only a short step to total control by the government. Now it is any rube with his own vision of reality who decides what is acceptable. When it comes to hurting a child I think that no punishment can fit the crime.
Whenever anything like this comes up I seem to always regress to the Robert Heinlein book The Number Of The Beast. In one alternant universe they visited they made the punishment fit the crime. If you were a drunk driver who caused someone to lose a leg you were staked out and injured in the same way.
I think if a child is involved throw that out and just kill them.
I hate that shit and am trying to deal with something like it with my Grandkids and my daughter’s asshole boyfriend.
I think branding with racist slogans and then locking them up with the normal population which is I'm sorry to say mostly minorities. Should make them a lot of friends.
I really get to be a whiney bastard don't I?
Gee I sure sound bitter don't I?

Enigma said...

We live in a stupid world, where the politically correct, and the civil libertarians rule, and common sense is out the window, and the majority of people are so mind fucked by the media, they dont have a clue what is real or not anymore.
And hard core fundamentalists anything, creep me out.
But then again, aparently everyone has the right of free speech, and free actions.

Creepy said...

It is shocking that he wasn't arrested. I guess mutilating children in the name of god isn't a big deal in that town.