Well, apparently - the program called Every 15 Minutes, tweaked the delivery of their "message" with some unexpected results.June 12 - On a Monday morning last month, highway patrol officers visited 20 classrooms at El Camino High School to announce some horrible news: Students had been killed in car wrecks over the weekend.
Classmates wept. Some became hysterical.
A few hours and many tears later, though, the pain turned to fury when the teenagers learned that it was all a hoax — a scared-straight exercise designed by school officials to dramatize the consequences of drinking and driving.
As seniors prepare for graduation parties Friday, school officials in the largely prosperous San Diego suburb are defending themselves against allegations they went too far.
At assemblies where speakers talked about the dangers of drunk driving, some students held posters that read: "Death is real. Don't play with our emotions."
Michelle de Gracia, 16, was in physics class when an officer announced her missing classmate David, a popular basketball player, died instantly after being rear-ended by a drunk driver. She felt nauseated but was too frozen to cry. "They got the shock they wanted," she said.
Some of her classmates were hysterical, prompting the teacher to tell them immediately the death was staged. "People started yelling at the teacher," she said. "It was pretty hectic."
Others, including many who heard the "news" between classes, were left in the dark until the 26 missing students reappeared hours later to enact a fatal traffic accident.
The stunt was a twist on a program called Every 15 Minutes, which was designed in the early 1990s, when someone was killed an average of once every 15 minutes in alcohol-related accidents. Here's how the program normally works: Students chosen to symbolize the dead are pulled out of their classes by someone in a Grim Reaper costume while their obituaries are read aloud.
A few hours later, they reappear in ghoulish makeup to enact a traffic accident at an assembly. Rescue workers whisk "victims" from a mangled car to a hospital or morgue. The "dead" then spend the night at a hotel isolated from friends and family before returning the next day for an assembly with parents and professional speakers.
At El Camino, the students who were in on the secret shunned the Grim Reaper skit.
"We didn't want kids laughing at it," said Michelle Molin, 17, a junior. "It's like Halloween."
El Camino officials agreed to try to give students the experience of real grief. They defend how they handled the exercise.
"They were traumatized, but we wanted them to be traumatized," said guidance counselor Lori Tauber. "That's how they get the message."
The school had counselors on standby to calm kids who were visibly upset but didn't anticipate the power of cell phones to spread the word.
Before class, a freshman who knew her sister was playing dead texted her friends to say the girl had been killed. Word spread quickly among the school's 3,100 students, many of whom clustered between periods crying. Even administrators who knew about the program thought there had been a terrible coincidence.
Perondi said the program students got the message.
"We did this in earnest," he said. "This was not done to be a prankster."
_____________
You know what... I woulda been fucking pissed too. It's one thing to create awareness, it's another to fuck with people and create trauma. A "just joking" or "we did it for your own good" isn't going to take away those hours of soul-rending sorrow.

23 comments:
I think this was an absolutely terrific program.
Kids think they know everything, and think they are invisible. It's a consequence of being a kid - a consequence that's defeated sometimes harshly by an actual tragedy when it happens because they think they're invisible.
If some stupid turd thinks it can't happen to him, drinks, drives and kills himself, I have no problem with that whatsoever. If the only consequence was your own, then take responsibility for it.
The fact of the matter is, chances are they'll take out a minivan full of kids or a school bus with them.
If a couple of hours of emotion is what it takes to save some lives, then so be it.
They'll get over it, and maybe even learn something.
Scared Straight is one thing. Being complete pricks is another.
the bottom line is....did it work?.were they scared straight enough not to drink and drive?..if not ..it wasn't worth it...pretty sick if you ask me..
*sorry, i said invisible, I meant invincible.
I don't believe anything you do will keep them from driving drunk.
I also don't believe that the programs they implement where the kids take home a baby doll for a weekend and have to spend night and day with it prevents teen pregnancy.
I also don't believe that showing pictures of lungs and/or other organs prevents people from smoking.
I could go on and on.
Personally, I don't drink and drive, because I don't want to spill my drink! ;)
That's exactly how my cousin died back when I was 20; went through the windshield because he didn't have a seatbelt and his friends were drunk. He was only 18...
Heh, had to be a right bitch for the kids who were like me in high school, meaning they hated nearly all of their classmates.
"Whoa...they're gone???"
*20 Mins Later*
"Awww....FUCK!"
Now THAT's an unfair emotional strain, making some people think they'll never have to hear the self-promoting FCA valley girl any longer..
The kids should prank them back.
"Hey officer, your child has just been abducted by a known pedophile". "Nah we're just messing with you. Were trying to teach you the importance of not letting your kids play in public unsupervised."
Cunts. I wonder if they got sued for 'emotional trauma' or something just who would be scared straight then?
I think it is just sick.
Crying wolf to try and make someone take you seriously never works.
Good thing Im not a parent or I would put a stop to this program.
Like someone said, kids are going to do what they are going to do and I think this is a perverse, unethical and inhuman way to try and get a point across.
IMHO
Ridiculous, offensive and probably ineffective. If you played the same prank on the adults who cooked this bullshit up they would probably sue you for emotional trauma.
Devious, and not a good way.
Also, please give a thesaurus to the poor soul who attempted to use the word "hectic" coherently. I think *that* may be the real tragedy in this story.
Almost every authority figure in those kids’ lives including the parents of the pseudo dead had to be involved. Well the parents were probably only as involved as they are with the rest of their kid’s lives which in most cases is not much.
They have now demonstrated to the young people who hadn't figured it out yet that they are not that bright and can't be trusted.
The normal reaction to untrustworthy authority figures by adolescents is to do the opposite of what they are being told to do.
The idiots who enacted this should be sued.
The whole thing just brings to mind the experiment that was conducted with students being made prisoners and guards and what happened to the authority figures turned into sadistic bastards.
It always surprises me how many so called adults have completely forgotten what it was like to be a teenager.
Oh yeah.
Teach kids about the Holocaust by role playing in Auschwitz for a week.
Pretty much a consensus among your readers there then looking at the comments. Don't worry, I am not blue, just mute, run out of words for once, but I am cooking up some new stuff, splashcasting looks good for the blog and plugging the keyboard in too when I get all the gear and so forth but now the bastard ISP has slowed down my connection by about five times cos I went over my data limit the extortionate bastards, so it will all have to wait. I am slowed to an aged crawl round the interweb like I am in real life, shambling old man in tattered rags that I am, totally harmless looking, poor me, and then when you get close, bam tackle roll roll roll, hahahaha got you again,
we'll have to agree to disagree on this one Mikey. In fact I think these type of tactics are more likely to incite a "fuck you, i'll do it just to show you" attitude in some kids. I'm not saying the message doesn't need to be said over and over and over - it does, just like teen pregnancy, which is becoming a horror statistic in this country - but this ain't the way to do it.
Agreed, Evyl.
Would there be any way to tell JackieSue? I'm willing to bet i didn't make a bit of difference. Smart kids will make smart choices. It's not like they don't ALL know the dangers...
Actually, alot of kids do feel invisible which leads to the drinking... tangent... i know.
It's a messy situation Cat and really it's no different than the adult that gets toasted and behind the wheel - it's horrible, it's stupid, it can ruin your life and take the life of others - people do it anyway.
I'm sorry about your cousin VE. That's another thing i don't understand - not wearing seatbelt... hello russian roulette.
Even if you're a safe driver the road is full of idjets.
Leave it to you Rev to make me grin while discussing such a serious topic. ~muuwahh~
Brian, adults would never ever tolerate that kind of assisine "training" being inflicted on them, what makes them think kids should?
Sage, I wonder if the school has to have parents' permission to enact the program... hmmmm....
Ahhhh, Cabana Boy - tossing the truth against the Wall long time.
I agree with you 100% Raspy.
Exactly GingaPaul. We would never tolerate it. Are our kids worth so little in our (society's) esteem that we think something we would find horrific if done to us, is okay to perpetuate on a child? Meh. Vomitous.
You're going to make me reread it looking for hectic, aren't you Josh?
Jeesuz Mr. Wit - what was this about prisoners and guards enactment? Hello, Lord of the Flies.
Yeah, that'll teach the little fuckers, huh, Woozala? ~shaking head at people's "so-called brilliant" concepts for communication~
you could always use it on your kids if you decide to start breeding Creepalicious.
I'z glad you're okay GingaPaul. ~throwing arms open wide~
tackle away.
~grin~
I make you smile with the things I say, eh?
That's a new one for me.
Usually I'm told I need Jesus, that I'll be in someone's prayers, or at the very least, get that blank "I'm on Thorazine" stare.
hmmm... maybe i appreciate your humor because i have had people pray depserately before for my pagan ass. ~shrug~
no sweat off my brow if it made them feel special. ~wink~
That explains it: Those of us who get blasted in such a manner tend to develop sympathy for someone else subjected to that brand of rhetoric.
Or, it could be that I'm just funny in your opinion. *shrug*
BTW, I'll have some art stuff up later tonight.
Later babe!
Okay, I'm ready for you to put up a fun post again, Kota Baby! I'm all dressed up with nowhere to blogfuck! ;)
There was some smart professor at a big name school in the 70's I think who put together a study. He took half a class and made them prisoners and the other half were guards. This was a 24 hour a day thing that you had to volunteer for. Nobody knew what role they would play before hand. I think it went on for about a week before they had to stop it. The guards were becoming sadistic control freaks and the prisoners were displaying all the traits of real life inmates. The professor made a pile on the book he wrote about it but he freely admitted he never expected the results he got
Wit: I believe you're talking about the Stanford Prison Experiment, helmed by social psychologist Philip Zimbardo in 1971. I just finished a book of his recently, "The Lucifer Effect," which is a study of how good people become bad/"evil," and it reviews the SPE as well as tackles topics such as the Abu Ghraib abuses. Pretty fascinating stuff, and you might find the book interesting (though admittedly a bit dry from time to time).
That's the on. Thank Rev. I have a better long term memory than I thought as I haven't heard anything about it in so many years that I think it was on the either the old Tom Snyder show or 60 minutes when Andy Rooney was a young wiper snapper.
I've found that a dry book goes well with a wet beer.
i remember dr johnny fever taking a test for the effects of alcohol on wkrp and he did quite well.
Post a Comment